Saturday, January 19, 2008

Build A Fixie

Pre 1900 all bikes had a fixed gear and no free wheel system. The free wheel system is what allows the rider to coast and take a break from pedalling. The pedals on a fixie maintain the momentum of the bike, the rider must resist this momentum in order to slow down or stop.

The modern fixie is generally a 1980s - 1990s road bike conversion. This process involves stripping the frame of all unnecessary parts including gears, brakes, lights and anything else that complicates the bikes pure form.

Aside from minimalist chic, fixies are popular as they lend themselves very well for trick riders. There are
tricks and then there are tricks.

So, the plan is to find an old bike on
ebay or at the tip to lovingly restore and make beautiful. I will post a picture as soon as I find a suitable frame.

Oh and I may need advice as I have absolutely no idea what I am doing :) adieu!

27th January 2008

I found a suitable bicycle for my fixie project, which excites me more than a little. I will pick it up next weekend from Ilkeston, Derbyshire - That's far far away from Bristol where I live.

The frame is an old Raleigh and cost me fifty seven notes on ebay.

My next step is to strip the bike of all unwanted parts, paint and accessories.